Step 1: Put your iPod/MP3 player or iTunes on random.
Step 2: Post the first line(s) from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post it on your blog and let everyone guess what song and artist the lines come from. (Instrumental songs removed for obvious reasons.)
Step 4: Update the list with the song title when someone guesses correctly. (I will identify any unidentified songs by sometime later this week.)
Step 5: For those guessing the songs (this is where you come in): make your guess by leaving a comment or emailing me via the contact page. I need title and artist! (Some tricky covers will probably slip through.) Honor system: No Googling or other internet-aided search engine!
So, out of 4,001 songs, here’s what I got.
- “Oh, something’s got me so excited, baby …”
- “See reflections on the water, more than darkness in the depths …”
- “Skip the light fandango, turn cartwheels cross the floor …” – Whiter Shade of Pale by Annie Lennox
- “Somewhere there’s a child a’ crying …”
- “I seen ya ’round for a long long time, I remembered ya when ya drank my wine …” – Why Can’t We Be Friends? by War
- “There she goes talkin’ all her mess, all around town causin’ distress …”
- “When I’m feeling lonely, someone telephone me …”
- “Learn to love me, assemble the ways …”
- “But if only you could see them, you would know them by their faces …”
- “Met my old lover in the grocery store …” – Auld Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg
- “Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone …” – Like a Prayer by Madonna
- “Don’t know why there’s no sun up in the sky …” – Stormy Weather by Lena Horne
- “On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair …” – Hotel California by the Eagles
- “High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man …” – Sowing the Seeds of Love by Tears for Fears
- “It’s been seven hours and fifteen days, since you took your love away …” – Nothing Compares to You by Jimmy Scott
- “Everybody’s looking for a reason, making time and calling it love …”
- “Working all day, 9 to 5 for my money …” – Wild Thing by Tone Loc
- “I can remember stories, those things my mother said …”
- “He tends to get carried away, like a talkshow he’s got drama every day …”
- “You walked in on the sly, scoping for love …”
Update: Some of the songs have been successfully guessed. Since there were some covers that could trip people up (like 5 & 15) I decided to accept answers if the song was right but the artist was wrong. There’s still more to go! I’ll update the rest this evening.