I’m totally stealing this meme from Dennis at More Than My Luggage, because it’s fun and because I’m at home with Parker today and might not post much. Feel free to join in.
Step 1: Put your iPod/MP3 player or iTunes on random.
Step 2: Post the first line(s) from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post it on your blog and let everyone guess what song and artist the lines come from. (Instrumental songs removed for obvious reasons.)
Step 4: Update the list with the song title when someone guesses correctly. (I will identify any unidentified songs by sometime later this week.)
Step 5: For those guessing the songs (this is where you come in): make your guess by leaving a comment or emailing me via the contact page. I need title and artist! (Some tricky covers will probably slip through.) Honor system: No Googling or other internet-aided search engine!
So, out of 4,001 songs, here’s what I got.
- “Oh, something’s got me so excited, baby …”
- “See reflections on the water, more than darkness in the depths …”
- “Skip the light fandango, turn cartwheels cross the floor …” – Whiter Shade of Pale by Annie Lennox
- “Somewhere there’s a child a’ crying …”
- “I seen ya ’round for a long long time, I remembered ya when ya drank my wine …” – Why Can’t We Be Friends? by War
- “There she goes talkin’ all her mess, all around town causin’ distress …”
- “When I’m feeling lonely, someone telephone me …”
- “Learn to love me, assemble the ways …”
- “But if only you could see them, you would know them by their faces …”
- “Met my old lover in the grocery store …” – Auld Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg
- “Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone …” – Like a Prayer by Madonna
- “Don’t know why there’s no sun up in the sky …” – Stormy Weather by Lena Horne
- “On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair …” – Hotel California by the Eagles
- “High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man …” – Sowing the Seeds of Love by Tears for Fears
- “It’s been seven hours and fifteen days, since you took your love away …” – Nothing Compares to You by Jimmy Scott
- “Everybody’s looking for a reason, making time and calling it love …”
- “Working all day, 9 to 5 for my money …” – Wild Thing by Tone Loc
- “I can remember stories, those things my mother said …”
- “He tends to get carried away, like a talkshow he’s got drama every day …”
- “You walked in on the sly, scoping for love …”
Update: Some of the songs have been successfully guessed. Since there were some covers that could trip people up (like 5 & 15) I decided to accept answers if the song was right but the artist was wrong. There’s still more to go! I’ll update the rest this evening.