It’s grown into quite a playlist, actually, and I have to cut it off at a certain point or he’ll never goto sleep. (Once, a medley of “When You’re Smiling,” “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love,” “I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter,” and “S’Wonderful” extended bedtime into a 20 minute concert.)
Yesterday, I got the idea to create a playlist in iTunes of Parker’s songs. Partly because I like that they’re now “our songs” in a way (and maybe someday he’ll hear one of them and remember that Daddy used to sing them for him), and partly so that I can add new songs and learn them for future “performances.”
Anyway, here’s the list so far. I doubled up some songs, just for thematic purposes when I’m listening to it.
- Over The Rainbow from the album “Songbird” by Eva Cassidy
- (Get Your Kicks On) Route 66 from the album “The Very Best of Nat King Cole” by The King Cole Trio
- Take the “A” Train (Live Returns To Berlin) from the album “Ella Returns to Berlin” by Ella Fitzgerald
- When You’re Smiling (The Whole World Smiles with You) [1958 Single Version] from the album “Louis Armstrong’s All-Time Greatest Hits” by Louis Armstrong
- Your Song from the album “Greatest Hits 1970-2002 CD One” by Elton John
- You’ve Got a Friend from the album “A Donny Hathaway Collection” by Roberta Flack
- Thank You for Being a Friend from the album “Tube Tunes, Volume 2: The 70’s & 80’s” by Andrew Gold
- What a Wonderful World from the album “In Concert: What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow-What A Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- You Are So Beautiful from the album “Sounds of the Seventies: 1975” by Joe Cocker
You can kinda see a theme running through the list, and that’s not all of them. I left out another favorite, “It’s Not That Easy Being Green,” by Ray Charles. For me, it’s all about the lyrics. They have to say something I want my son to hear from me.
So, here’s my question? What else can I add to the list? Because, lemme tell ya, the kid is starting to request some new material…