The Republic of T.

Black. Gay. Father. Vegetarian. Buddhist. Liberal.

Someone (Else) is (Still) Missing

The Washington Post has wrapped up its 13-part “Who Killed Chandra Levy” series, and I’ve been following it; unable to resist a combination of local interest and the kind of crime story that has always fascinated me. (I think in another life I’d like to be a crime writer of some sort. I channeled some of that into the LGBT Hate Crimes Project, I think.)

But as I followed along I never forgot about some of the cases I wrote about in the previous post. In the process of researching that post, I came across many more cases that I didn’t include because the length of the post made me decide to limit it to the cases of those women mentioned in the comments of a WaPo blog post about the Levy series. Since the series on the Levy case is wrapping up, I wanted to take the opportunity to post about a few more cases that have gotten less attention than the Levy case.

So, here they are, presented in alphabetical order, according to when they went missing or were last seen.:

Zabullah Alam was last seen around 6:00 p.m. on June 25, 1998, leaving his apartment in Grovestown, VA. At the time of his disappearance, he worked as a server at the Fish Market in Old Town Alexandria, and attended Northern Virginia Community College. He drove to Washington, D.C. — in a red 1985 BMW with Virginia license plates ZAK-9953 — to a job interview at Union station, for a landscaping position with an unknown prospective employer, and was never heard from again. His vehicle was found In Lanham, MD, on June 28. 1998. In April 1998, Alam had witnessed a burglary at his home. He identified Christopher Andaryl Wills as the the culprit, and Wills was arrested. Alam disappeared ten days after Wills’ preliminary hearing. In 1999, Will was charged with kidnapping resulting in death and was convicted in 2001. No trace of Alam has been found. Anyon with information concerning this case should call the Fairfax County Police Department at 703-385-7924.

Amy Bradley was last see on March 24, 1998, during a vacation cruise with her family. She had graduated from college in Virginia, and was living with her family in Richmond, VA while working with a waitress. She planned to start a job with a computer consulting firm. In March of 1998 the Bradley family took a family vacation cruise to the Caribbean. On March 24, her parents retired early while Amy and her brother danced in the ships disco. The ship’s computerized door-lock system recored her brother’s return to the cabin cabin at 3:55 a.m., and Amy’s five minutes later. They sat on the ship’s balcony and chatted. He father saw her sitting on the balcony and smoking at about 5:15 a.m. or 5:30 a.m. By 6:00 a.m., her shoes were left on the balcony, but Amy was nowhere to be found. The boat was docking in the port of Curacao, and Amy had been overheard talking about disembarking at Curacao to buy cigarettes. Two women reported seeing her riding the ship’s elevator to the top deck, with musician from the ship’s band. A Curacao cab driver reported to Amy’s father that she approached his cab that morning, and said she had an urgent need to use a phone. Two individuals said they saw Amy in Curacao, one in August of 1998 and the other in January in 1999. Bradley remains missing. A $250,000 reward is offered for information leading to her safe return. Anyone with information concerning this case should call 804-276-2204, or fax 804-745-6133, or email

Shaquita Yolanda Bell was last seen at 1:00 p.m. on June 27, 1996, leaving her grandmother’s house in Alexandria, VA, accompanied by her ex-boyfriend Michael Eric Dickerson, who was also the father of her youngest child. A month earlier, Bell had called police to report that Dickerson had beaten her durin a dispute in their Laurel, MD, apartment. Bell told police that Dickerson had held a gun to her head. Dickerson was arrested in Washington, DC, the same day, and charged with possession of a machine gun. Bell also provided authorities with information in at least two investigations, including one homicide. On the day of her disappearance, Dickerson had driven Bell to take two of her children to a doctor’s appointment. She called home at 2:00 p.m. to say she was on her way home, and has not been heard from again. Dickerson claimed they’d gone into Southeast Washington, gotten into a fight, and that Bell had left him. Following her disappearance, Bell’s purse wa found in the vehicle of Jonathan Shields, a friend of Dickerson’s. Shields told police that Dickerson admitted killing Bell and asked for him disposing of her body. Shields said he traveled to Dickerson’s house, where he saw Bell’s body lying in the back yard, and acted as a lookout while Dickerson wrapped the body in a sheet and placed it in his car. Shields said he and Dickerson went to a wooded area along Old fort Road in Fort Washington, and Dickerson buried the body. Dickerson was later convicted of beating Bell a month earlier and sentenced to a 15 year term in prison. Shields agreed to visit Dickerson in jail, and wear a recording device in hopes of recording a confession, but was murdered the day before the visit was scheduled. His murder remains unsolved. Police excavated the yard at Dickerson’s parents’ home in 1997, but found no evidence related to Bell’s disappearance. On July 28 2007, a search team consisting of police officers, cadaver dogs, a helicopter, and a forensic anthropologist from the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History returned to the site where Bell was allegedly buried. After three days spent searching, the team left with no discoveries. In January 2008, Dickerson was charged in her murder.Anyone with information concerning this case should contact the Alexandria Police Department at 703-834-4444 or the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department at 202-727-9099.

Santiago Hamiez Benitez, of Potomac, MD, spoke to members of his family on October, 6, 2001. He had plans to visit a friend in New York. He never arrived at his friend’s house, and was never heard from again. At the time of his disappearance he was driving a silver 1999 Mercedes CLK340 with Maryland license plate JWN-591. He was reported missing on February 5, 2002. His car was found on June 4, 2002, on Route 108 near Howard County. No sign of Benitez or anyone else, and no sign of foul play was found in or near the car, despite the deployment of bloodhounds. Anyone with information concerning this case should contact the Montgomery County Police Department 301-279-800.

Antoinette Jackson was last seen on August 31, 2006, in the vicinity of 14th St. and Columbia Rd. NW, in Washington, DC. She was reported missing on September 2, 2006. Jackson was 57-years-old at the time of her disappearance, 5’7″ tall, 130 lbs., with light brown eyes and gray hair. She resided in the 2800 block of 14th St., NW, in Washington, D.C. Anyone with information concerning this case should contact the Metropolitan Police Department’s Third District at 202-673-6815.

Donald Lee Izzet, Jr. was a student at Frostburg State University in Maryland in the spring if 1995. After his freshman year, he left school and lived a transient lifestyle, moving from one place to another. He visited his mother in Cumberland Maryland on May 7, 1995. He phoned her for the last time seven days later on May 14, and said he was living in Santa Monica, CA, and wanted to return home. He was upset and crying, and ended the call quickly — after telling his mother he would call her later with a information on where to wire him money — as if he didn’t want someone nearby to hear. He was not heard from again. Izzet is said to have traveled to Florida, Mississippi, Missouri, and to Canada with a friend named Barry, who claimed to have dropped Izzet off in Cumberland, MD, at his mother’s home. Izzet, if he was in Cumberland, never contacted his mother. The only evidence of his travels is a traffic ticket he received in Buckeye, AZ, on May 22, 1995. A friend claimed to have heard from Izzet in July 1995, saying he was living in San Francisco, CA, with an elderly man and traveling for enjoyment. He is said to have had associations with people in Key West, FL, and Washington, DC. Investigators have not determined how Izzet was supporting himself financially. Anyone with information concerning this case should contact the Maryland State Police Cumberland Barracks at 301-729-2101 or Maryland State Police at 410-290-0050, extension 130.

John James Morris, of Poolesville, MD, was last seen on at 11:30 p.m. on July 30, 2004, when he left his home on White’s Ferry Road after breaking up with his partner of 14 years. He was last seen standing in the driveway, apparently waiting for a ride, and has not been heard from since. Officers went to his home to check on Morris’ welfare, after a neighbor reported seeing him standing in the driveway. Morris was gone, but his white pick-up was still there. He was supposed to be heading for New Jersey, where his parents live. Morris’ mother — who spoke with him on the phone on July 30, and said he told her a neighbor was coming to pick him up — reported him missing three weeks later, when he had not yet arrived. Searches of the woods near Morris’ former home yielded no sign of him or evidence of what happened to him. Morris was unemployed at the time of his disappearance. He is a talented oil painter, and could be working as a handyman, glazier, or landscaper. His credit cards and cell phone have been unused since his disappearance. His truck, dog, and all of his belongings were left behind. No evidence of foul play has been found in his disappearance, and it remains unsolved. Anyone with information concerning this case should contact the Montgomery County Police Department at 301-840-2407 or 301-8401-2347.

Sumner Highlands Apartments. She spoke with an acquaintance on the phone around 10:00 p.m., and emailed her employer at 12:00 a.m. on May 24. She was not heard from again. She was scheduled to begin a job as a copy editor on the Washington Post’s website on the day she disappeared. Her car was found on May 25, in the Glen Echo area, several miles from her home. There was no sign of her, no keys or wallet in the vehicle, and a search of the area yielded nothing. Police released a composite of a 48-to-50-year-old Hispanic man — not a suspect — who spotted near Thresher’s apartment, and who may have spoken to her prior to her disappearance. Thresher’s family had her declared legally deceased in February 2001. In April 2002, $647 child support check from her first husband was deposited into Thresher’s checking account, dropped into an night deposit box in Alexandria, VA. Anyone with information concerning this case should contact the Montgomery County Police Department at 240-773-5070 or 240-773-5020.

One Comment

  1. As I scrolled past this post in my feed reader, Santiago’s case jumped out at me. I grew up in Potomac and go back regularly to visit family. It’s a bizarre feeling to think that someone from my town is missing.