Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for July 28th through July 29th:
- Suicide Spreads as One Solution to the Debt Crisis | Corporate Accountability and WorkPlace | AlterNet – In a culture where credit rating is the key measure of self-worth, the increasing response to huge debts is “Just shoot me!”
- ACLU Blog: Because Freedom Can’t Blog Itself: Official Blog of the American Civil Liberties Union » Lunatics in the White House – One such attorney, speaking of those in the Bush administration, reportedly told Mayer: “I can’t, I could not believe these lunatics had taken over the country.”
- The Killing of Rachel Hoffman and the Tragedy That Is Pot Prohibition | DrugReporter | AlterNet – Police caught Hoffman with pot but promised to drop charges if she agreed to go undercover in a drug bust. She was killed soon afterward.
- The Danger of Meat-Heavy Diets | Media and Technology | AlterNet – The Atkins, eat-lots-of-meat diet is about as unhealthy as they come. But you’d never know it from media coverage.
- Erkan’s field diary: “Meet the first gay honor killing victim…. – In a corner of Istanbul today, the man who might be described as Turkey’s gay poster boy will be buried – a victim, his friends believe, of the country’s deepening friction between an increasingly liberal society and its entrenched conservative traditions.”
- Straight Talk Express can’t handle gay adoption – Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media. – Sen. John McCain’s “Straight Talk Express” seems to be derailing on the issue of gay and lesbian couples adopting abandoned or orphaned children
- RJ Eskow: Monster: Who Really Killed the Knoxville Unitarians? – Who really killed those Unitarians? Was it the preachers who spread hatred and intolerance? The politicians who court and flatter them instead of condemning their hate speech? The media machine that attacks liberals, calls them “traitors” and suggests you speak to them “with a baseball bat”? The economic system that batters people like Jim Adkisson until they snap, then tells them their real enemies are gays and liberals and secular humanists? If you ask me, it was all of the above.
- RedLasso Ends Blogger’s Video Embed Services – Redlasso, the web service we occasionally used here at Mashable to illustrate a point using footage from mainstream television, has shuttered their service for the time being in the face of a lawsuit being brought against them by NBC Universal and Fox.
- Box Turtle Bulletin » AFA Approved Comments: Knoxville Church Doing “Satan’s Work” – “While this is a tragedy, the article may mislead those who are not familiar with the Unitatian [sic] ‘non-religion’. Unitarians are not Christians, and like all non-Christians they are doing Satan’s work.”