- Democracy Now! | Black America: A Neglected Priority in the Global AIDS Epidemic – According to a new report by the Black AIDS Institute, if blacks in the United States constituted their own country, that nation would rank sixteenth in the world in the number of people living with HIV. Two percent of adult black Americans are infected with the virus, and only four countries outside Africa have a higher HIV prevalence.
- Don’t Tase Me, GOP! — In These Times – Police spokesman Tom Walsh denies any connection between the arrival of the Tasers and the upcoming RNC. “They are not related to the convention in any way,” says Walsh. “A patrol officer suggested months ago that we supply our force with Tasers.” But some demonstrators are wary of such assurances.
- The American Left: Does a nationwide ‘progressive movement’ actually exist? — In These Times – George W. Bush will go down in history as one of this country’s worst presidents ever. But there is at least one thing we can genuinely thank him for: He has succeeded in bringing moderates, liberals, and progressives closer together than at any time in decades. But do the many political connections created since Bush took office actually add up to something that can be called a (or “the”) “progressive movement”?
- Joining the Corporate Bail-Out Receiving Line – NAM – I'm changing my name to Fannie Mack. I figure when the federal government is handing out all those billions to Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to solve the mortgage crisis, I'll just slide in line and get a few dollars for my own mortgage crisis. Luckily for me, my maiden name is Mack, and my grandmother's name was Fannie, so the paperwork should be easy.
- Fashion: The Case Against Crocs | Newsweek Culture | Newsweek.com – I know what you're thinking: what kind of sick father lets his impressionable young son call people dorks because of the shoes they wear? Well, who else will teach him that wearing sweaty bright purple clown shoes in public is not OK?
- How Police Can Better Handle the Mentally Ill | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com – Contrary to what many assume, the mentally ill are most often the victimized, not the victimizers. A 2005 study by researchers at the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University suggested that persons with serious mental illnesses are 11 times more likely than the general population to be victims of violent crime, with perhaps as many as 1 million crimes committed against those with serious mental-health issues each year.
- Truthdig – Reports – McCain’s Race-Baiting Scoundrels – I’m confident that Sen. Lindsey Graham and the rest of John McCain’s front-line surrogates know full well what messages they’re sending about Barack Obama and race. On the off chance that they—or, more likely, some of the white voters they’re trying to reach—don’t know text from subtext from context, here’s a deconstruction.
- Truthdig – Reports – Getting Past the ‘Race Card’ – Let’s dispose of the canard that there is something wrong with black people voting in overwhelming numbers for one of their own. Minorities in the U.S. always turn out in a big way for the candidate breaking barriers on their behalf.
- Rethinking Sexism: How Trans Women Challenge Feminism | Reproductive Justice and Gender | AlterNet – The world's largest annual women-only event excludes trans women, sparking a debate among feminists about sexism and privilege.