- Apologies for Slavery, Should Acknowledge Privilege : NPR – But let's set that aside and focus on what is "not" being talked about — the other part of the apology— the apology for Jim Crow, the system of legally imposed, culturally sanctioned and violently enforced discrimination that lasted well into this century. The legal framework of Jim Crow was dismantled only a generation ago, which means that the people who lived with, suffered from and benefited from Jim Crow are very much with us today.
- The Volokh Conspiracy – New study says gay couples really do want marriage: – Now the UCLA's Williams Institute, which supports same-sex marriage, has taken another look at the numbers. In a new report studying the recognition of domestic partnerships, civil unions, and gay marriages across the country, the report challenges the conclusions of the skeptics that gays don't really care about marriage.
- God-o-Meter – A scientific measure of God-talk in the elections – Neither Senators Barack Obama nor John McCain feel particularly comfortable talking about gay marriage as a campaign issue."Both have this nuanced 'On the one hand and on the other hand' need-to-explain position, and I think that makes it difficult for either to take a stand," says David Domke, a University of Washington professor, in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered." The NPR story, which aired Monday evening, contains statements made by each candidate, in public forums, which would seem to fit Domke's analysis. But the story also suggests–unsurprisingly–that this is more problematic for McCain, who needs support from conservative evangelical Protestants who rallied around George W. Bush.
- Feministe » Killing a Woman Because She’s Trans “Not a Classic Hate Crime” – “Duped.” “Fooled.” “Not a classic hate crime.” Why isn’t it a classic hate crime? The argument doesn’t hold up — the defendant did kill Zapata because of her gender identity. He sexually assaulted a woman, in the process discovered that she was transgender, and as a direct result he chose to beat her to death. Ergo, he killed her because she was trans, and this is not hard to follow logic. So allow me to translate. What Robinson really means is: “This is not a classic hate crime, because this time the defendant had a good reason.”
- Why many Americans prefer their Sundays segregated – CNN.com – Americans may be poised to nominate a black man to run for president, but it's segregation as usual in U.S. churches, according to the scholars. Only about 5 percent of the nation's churches are racially integrated, and half of them are in the process of becoming all-black or all-white, says Curtiss Paul DeYoung, co-author of "United by Faith," a book that examines interracial churches in the United States.