Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for August 7th from 11:46 to 12:09:
- The New Face of Terrorism? A Square White Guy | AlterNet – The deadliest biological assault on the United States may have been perpetrated by a church-going white man, with anthrax from our own weapons labs.
- I Don’t: A Contrarian History of Marriage | Sex and Relationships | AlterNet – Squire's witty and deeply researched work proves one thing: marriage has been hard on both husbands and wives for a very long time. But, but, but … is there anything we can do to make it easier?
- Lynching Advocate Toby Keith: Obama Acts White To Win – During Toby Keith's appearance on the July 30 broadcast of Beck's show, he remarked, "I think the black people would say he [Obama] don't talk, act or carry himself as a black person." "What does that even mean?" the audibly shocked Beck replied. "Well, I don't know what that means," Keith drawled, "but I think that that's what they would say. Even though the black society would pull for him I still think that they think in the back of their mind that the only reason he is in [the general election] is because he talks, acts and carries himself as a Caucasian."
- Burgers or Biofuel? – Even more hidden from public view is the role of animal feeding in global warming. The shocking fact is that production of beef, pork and poultry is a bigger part of the climate problem than the cars and trucks we drive, indeed of the whole transportation sector.
- My Turn: Why I Finally Gave Up Diet Soda | Newsweek My Turn: Health Triumphs | Newsweek.com – Diet soda was the last and seemingly the least harmful addiction I had to conquer. But giving it up, and recognizing the havoc it was wreaking on my body, was harder than I thought.
- Suckers and Saints: How We Rationalize Being Wimpy | Newsweek Voices – Wray Herbert | Newsweek.com – How do we move forward when we have disappointed ourselves by our weakness, failed to stand up for what we believe? How do we shore up our self-esteem when we have failed to act as free thinkers?