- Rod 2.0:Beta: More and More Faith Events Planned at Democratic National Convention – For those of you who are looking forward to even more pandering to evangelicals and so-called "values voters" Barack Obama and the "new" "Democratic" Party, you'll be happy to hear a "Unity-Faith Breakfast" and Interfaith event will open the Convention. This, of course, would be in addition to the daily invocation and benediction. It's all in this press release from the DNCC.
- Blog Search is Broken – As you can see, a lot of people think that blogs contain some useful information. Even mainstream media is starting to see the power of blogs. However, blog directories have not really done much to help bloggers or readers. “News style” sites like Blogs.com, Wikio and BlogRunner also list various blogs but are more focused on presenting information as opposed to generating exposure for specific blogs. These sites also do not have a functional differentiator that would cause people to choose one site over another. What problem are these sites trying to solve? Even after a quick review of the sites, there is not an obvious problem except the implied “giving blogs more exposure.” Exposure is really only needed by the smaller blogs that do not get highlighted by these types of sites. Most of these sites suffer from having a solution in search of a problem.
- Orcinus – Part of the problem is that we actually have seen this happen time after time after time: A mentally unstable person is inspired by hateful right-wing rhetoric to act out violently — and yet because of that mental state, the matter is dismissed as idiosyncratic, just another "isolated incident." And over the months and years, these "isolated incidents" mount one after another. But simply ascribing these acts to mental illness is a cop-out. It fails to account for the gross irresponsibility of the people who employed the rhetoric that inspired the violent action in the first place, and their resulting moral culpability.
- Victim blaming article of the year? – Feministing – Peter Hitchens (yes, they're related) writes that a rape victim that was drunk "deserves less sympathy."
- Dispatches from the Culture Wars: Those Anti-Family “Family Values” – To bigots like LaBarbera, real families can't be led by homosexuals. But in the real world, there are millions of families that are led by gays and lesbians. By what possible reasoning – yes, I say that as though this was a reasoned position knowing full well that it's not – could this argument be justified?