- What Makes for a Good Blog? | 43 Folders – As I think about the blogs I’ve returned to over the years — and the increasingly few new ones that really grab my attention — I want to start with, ironically enough, a list. Here’s what I think helps make for a good blog.
- Open Left:: The Dead Zone Diet – Steak or salmon? Millions of menu-mulling diners ask themselves this question every day. Enjoy your dithering while you can, folks, because the day is coming when you may not have the luxury of choosing the lobster over the London broil. For those with a more populist palate, I've got some bad news, too; a future with no more fried clam strips or canned tuna, for you.
- In Brief: Young Evangelicals Increasingly Accepting of Homosexuality | Ex-Gay Watch – Young evangelicals are far more accepting of gay and lesbian lifestyles than their parents are: 34 percent of evangelicals between 18 and 29 think homosexuality “should be accepted,” compared with 24 percent of those from 50 to 64…
- The Bilerico Project | The Killer, Not The Killed – I think I'm going to scream. Lawrence King wore feminine attire to school. He wore what all the girls were wearing. He was a kid with serious issues, often out of control, and in need of help. No one is questioning that. But when is anyone going to ask questions about the killer? When the kids were killed in the Columbine High School shooting, no one asked what they did to get themselves killed. Every moment of the press coverage was dedicated to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.
- Buddhist Channel | Buddhism News, Headlines | Dharma Dew | Fast Five: Tibetan Lama Tharchin Rinpoche offers five ways to reconnect with your peaceful inner self – The reality is that we already know the way – we have just forgotten the path that winds down ancient roads, says Lama Tharchin Rinpoche, a Tibetan teacher and yogi who will teach at a Buddhist retreat Aug. 29-Sept. 3. He also will give a public class Wednesday, Aug. 27, titled "Creating Peace in Ourselves and Our World."
- Open Left:: The End Of Bubba Dominance – This identity-based backlash narrative runs through the heart of American politics, and has done so ever since the late 1960's. If Obama wins, it will signal the final failure of that narrative, and the dawn of a new era. No longer can conservatives bank on victory by demonizing immigrants, homosexuals, minorities, liberals, and whoever else. Considering that Barack Obama is an African-American former college professor from Hyde Park, and considering the disgusting, identity-based campaign that McCain is running against him, there could not be a greater test of my thesis that the conservative backlash politics can no longer forge a winning, national coalition.
- The Bilerico Project | The Church Got it Wrong, Not God – "Gay people have been abused, really, by the church, and just mindlessly suggesting that they go back is like telling an abused spouse to go back to her husband. But what I say is that God and the church aren't the same thing. The church has gotten this and many other things wrong. God hasn't gotten it wrong. Moreover, the church that you left may not be the church that's there now. There has been a lot of change. It doesn't mean that every church is safe, but there are enough safe places that gay and lesbian people can find a place that will really welcome them." — Bishop Gene Robinson.