- Dispatches from the Culture Wars: Texas Bible Courses Mandatory – There has been some confusion in Texas over whether the law passed by the legislature made it mandatory for school districts to offer a Bible course if enough students requested it or whether they could choose whether to offer one. The AG of Texas has now issued an order saying it is mandatory.
- Citizen Crain: Log Cabin’s big McCain mistake – Is political insanity running rampant among Republicans these days? First, John McCain threw good sense to the wind and tapped Sarah Palin as his running mate, even though she is untested and astonishingly unqualified to be one septuagenarian heartbeat away from the presidency. Now Log Cabin joins in the fall foolishness by going forward with an endorsement of the McCain-Palin ticket without even waiting to ask, much less get answers, about the Alaska governor’s unknown views on a range of issues important to gay Americans. We only learned today, for example, that she opposes hate crime laws.
- Feministe » Sarah Palin’s not-so-hidden extremism – This alone shows the degree to which the press pulls it’s punches with the Republicans. If Barack Obama were a member of the Nation of Islam, or had previously expressed support for black secessionism, he would still be a relatively obscure Illinois state senator, if that. Hell, the fact that he had a black pastor, and served on the same community board as an aging 60s radical has been enough to paint him as some sort of leftist radical. I can’t even the fathom the shitshow which would go down if it turned out that Obama was sympathetic to folks like Lewis Farrakhan. Obama (or any Democrat, for that matter) probably couldn’t read A People’s History of the United States without the media painting him as a “far-left ideologue.”
- Palin Has Chosen to Exploit Her Own Daughter’s Pregnancy | Election 2008 | AlterNet – Bristol Palin hasn't been the star of a major kids TV show like Jamie Lynn or Miley Cyrus. She has not chosen a life of celebrity. But now, thanks to her mother's decision to accept the Republican Vice Presidential candidacy, her private life — her sex life — is as exposed as if she had long been a cover regular on Star or US Weekly. She has unwittingly and literally become the poster child for her mother's anti-choice and abstinence-only education policies.
- Ode to an Internet Patrolman – Dear Comcast, I hear you’ll be instituting a bandwidth cap of 250GB per residential subscriber. Well, that’s totally your call. You take that prerogative, bad boy. Nip those crazy downloaders where it hurts most. “No more of that HD nonsense for you bandits, BitTorrent or no BitTorrent, iTunes or no iTunes,” you’ll say to them come October.