Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for September 8th through September 10th:
- Robert Scheer: She’s Clueless, He’s Worse – Ignorance is bliss, which perhaps explains Gov. Sarah Palin being so confidently wrong about the root cause of the federalization of most of the nation’s mortgage market. But what is Sen. John McCain’s excuse? Both act as if the financial meltdown of the U.S. economy has nothing to do with the policies of the political party they represent–but she at least may not know any better.
- Can Progressives Love Obama? | | AlterNet – Disappointed as some progressives may be, Obama has not made a dramatic shift to the center: He’s always been more centrist, cautious and compromising than many of his supporters — and critics — have wanted to admit.
- Beyond the Ballot: Young Black Men and Voting – NAM – Despite record numbers of young and new voters in this historical presidential election, voter disenfranchisement remains an issue for many young black men
- Homeless Court Advantage — In These Times – Many criminal charges against the homeless stem from their homelessness: loitering, sleeping on the sidewalks, drinking or urinating in public. Once cited, they don’t have a mailing address to receive summonses if they fail to pay the fine. That means a single infraction can often mushroom into multiple summonses, resulting in an inability to secure a job and housing.
- Feminism Without Feminism — In These Times – With Pit Bull Feminism, you have the appearance of feminism—alleged Superwoman, top executive and mother of five—with a repudiation of everything feminism stands for and has fought for. By now most of us know Palin’s resume: adamantly anti-choice even in the case of rape or incest, anti-environment, staunchly pro-gun, for censorship of books, anti-sex education, and, reportedly, a passionate advocate for the aerial hunting of wildlife in Alaska.
- The Bilerico Project | Top Ten Problems with the Gender Identity Disorder Diagnosis – This is my personal list of the most egregious problems with the current Gender Identity Disorder diagnosis. While far from comprehensive, it is perhaps a starting point for dialogue about how harm reduction of gender nomenclature might be possible in the DSM-V.
- The Bilerico Project | What Governor Palin Needs to Know About ‘Love’ – Governor Palin needs to know the truth about Love, and America’s parents and families need to know what Governor Palin thinks about harmful, anti-gay conferences that preach an anti-gospel doctrine of changing our kids, rather than embracing them.
- Vagabond Scholar: With Thy Father’s Permission – One of the great myths social conservatives truly believe is that if everyone just minded their place – that place to be determined by social conservatives, of course – everything would be just fine. It feeds naturally into the “electing someone like me, competence be damned” approach that Palin satisfies, just as George W. did before her.
- Citizen Crain: Log Cabin’s McCain mistake revisited – Just as I expected, Kevin has made by far the strongest argument I’ve seen anywhere in favor of the Log Cabin endorsement of McCain-Palin. His general point is that the decision was necessary for Log Cabin to retain any influence within the Republican Party, and to preserve access in a McCain White House.