Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for September 17th through September 18th:
- The BRAD BLOG : Mark Crispin Miller: Why They Chose Sarah Palin – To understand how Team McCain intends to get away with stealing this election, we must recall how Team Bush got away with it four years ago. (Those aren't two different teams.) The plan for stealing this contest has everything to do with the ostensibly surprising choice of Sarah Palin as McCain's VP. Here's why…
- House of Race Cards | Views | TheRoot.com – We've seen all this before, in every Republican campaign since 1964, and we're seeing it again, and none of that should surprise us. The surprise would be if the better angels of our nature prevail and the cynical strategy is rejected. That would be a shock, all right, and, yet, it could still happen. In fact, I think it will. That's because white America, like the rest of America, is changing.
- Passionate Prose — Letters to the Editor: How racism works – What if John McCain were a former president of the Harvard Law Review? What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class? What if McCain were still married to the first woman he said “I do” to? What if Obama were the candidate who left his first wife after she no longer measured up to his standards?
- Sarah Palin and the Wrong Way to Battle Sexism | Reproductive Justice and Gender | AlterNet – There's a big difference between identifying sexist acts and undermining patriarchy, the system of power and privilege that reinforces and grounds particular stories about how men and women should behave, how sex and gender should be expressed, about who is rational and who is emotional, who's a "fighter" and who's a "babe." These narratives are refracted and reinforced by the media and by people speaking from podiums, most certainly, but they aren't the work of a few bad eggs.
- CQ Politics | Political Insider – Obama vs. Palin – If you want to know why Gov. Sarah Palin drives liberal Democrats crazy — and is helping Sen. Barack Obama raise money at a record pace — here's an excerpt from an viral email making its way around the country.