No. Seriously. A guy’s Motorola Droid exploded, right next to his ear.
To be fair, it’s not just the Droid.
What surprised me was the last few paragraphs of the story, about fatal smartphone explosions.
Just a few months ago, a 23-year-old man died after his phone exploded in North India.
Most reports of exploding phones happen when they are in charging mode, which was the case in China. The phone of a 27-year-old housewife exploded while she was talking to her husband as the phone was being charged. She too was killed.
There was another incident reported in Wyoming a few years ago. A 19-year-old co-ed suffered second to third-degree burns while sleeping. Her phone had been charging near her when it caught fire. She was injured while trying to extinguish the fire.
It was in direct response to the Wyoming case that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued warnings for cell phone users. Among tips released by the CPSC were making sure your cell phone is compatible with your battery. Also, it warned users to keep batteries away from metal objects while phones are not in use. Phones should also be kept away from liquids and users should be careful that they do not overheat.
Well, who knew that?! I usually unplug my phone from the charger before answering or making a call. Not because I even knew about the exploding issue, but because I tend to walk around when I’m talking on the phone. (I’m giving away my age, but in the days before cordless phones, I had to have as long a cord as I could get.) Now I’ll make sure that I always do.