- Daily Kos: GOP gets sensitivity training on immigration reform: ‘Don’t use phrases like send them all back’ – A top Hispanic Republican advocacy group co-chaired by Jeb Bush is so worried about how the GOP will respond to immigration reform that they are distributing a set of guidelines instructing congressional Republicans on how to discuss the topic without sounding like a bunch of neanderthals. The issue, according to the group, isn't really about substance. Instead, it's about using "tonally sensitive" language:
- Same-sex couples reportedly part of Obama’s immigration push – The President is scheduled to make a big speech in Las Vegas outlining his proposals for immigration reform on Tuesday, and will reportedly include his support for addressing binational same-sex couples in any legislation.
- And Now Skeet Trutherism | TPM Editors Blog – Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) on Obama: “If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos?”
- A Word of Caution to Hillary Supporters – Jack & Jill Politics – There is a lesson to be learned from the 60 Minutes Interview. There is a lesson to be learned in how the President speaks of his Secretary of State. It is one of gracious compliment, of respect and aggrandizement. It is one of necessary acknowledgement.
- Just Wow – Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) is on the Senate floor denouncing President Obama's decision to end the CDC ban on studies of gun violence and generally carrying on about President Obama opening the doors on state tyranny by entertaining new gun legislation.
- Katrina vanden Heuvel: Progressive coalition can restore economic opportunity – The Washington Post – The growing progressive coalition that helped elect President Obama has emerged at the end of a failed and exhausted conservative era. The media now chronicle the flailings of Republican leaders slowly awakening to the weaknesses of a stale, pale and predominantly male party in today’s America.
- The Boy Scouts and the South – The Daily Beast – More evidence for my thesis below, about how Democrats now represent regular Americans while Republicans are a bunch of cranks, is the very fine news this week that the Boy Scouts of America are going to admit gay troop members and leaders. Yes. Bravo. To most of America it is not a big deal anymore.