- Obama Nailed It on Issues Americans Care About – Jack & Jill Politics – Republicans were spanked roundly in the election and seem eager to renew its appeal to Latinos. Marco Rubio’s response was nervous, but moving. He’s clearly a rising star yet if the GOP thinks they can shackle its worst ideas to its best talent, they may find that his star rises not very far indeed.
- The Progressive Economic Narrative in Obama’s State of the Union | Next New Deal – President Obama has begun telling the right story about the economy. Now we need to make sure that story spreads.
- Raise the minimum wage! – Salon.com – From saving working families much-needed cash to reducing poverty, it's a great way to kickstart the economy
- Why Even Republicans Loved Obama’s State of the Union | Alternet – The president uses a moral framework to cut through partisan politics.
- Elizabeth Warren: ‘I’m Worried Too Big To Fail Has Become Too Big For Trial’ | Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC) – Warren asked the committee — consisting of bank regulators from the federal government — about the “last time you took a Wall Street bank to trial.” Not a single witness was able to bring up an occurrence of the government actually taking a big bank to trial in recent times. This is how Warren followed up on that shocking response from federal regulators.
- Grand Old Jurassic Party – Salon.com – With its focus on ideological purity, the Republican species is pushing itself toward extinction
- [untitled] – Why can't we come up with ways to issue laws that will be blanket protections for everyone?
We have come up with special laws to protect black people, the disabled, gays and lesbians, too. Why isn't there a law that simply protects people?
- Matt Taibbi: How One of the World’s Largest Banks Got Away with Murder | Alternet – The bank HSBC laundered money for drug traffickers and terrorist groups and received a slight slap on the wrist
- Elizabeth the Stalwart – Maybe this is one way that women can make the difference. If you've had to fight every step of the way to be seen and heard, perhaps you aren't all that willing to STFU out of respect for the patriarchal traditions that did everything to keep you down.
Or maybe it's just that Senator Warren is awesome.
- Obama, winning the argument – In his bid to be remembered as a transformational leader, President Obama is following the playbook of an ideological opposite, Margaret Thatcher. First you win the argument, she used to say, then you win the vote.