- Tomgram: Chase Madar, Handcuffing Seven-Year-Olds Won’t Make Schools Safer | TomDispatch – Outrage over the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre may or may not spur any meaningful gun control laws, but you can bet your Crayolas that it will lead to more seven-year-olds getting handcuffed and hauled away to local police precincts.
- Chart: The many jobs that pay women less than men – There's a huge pay gap between men and women in the United States, one which shows few signs of closing anytime soon. But the size of that gap varies widely by profession. In 2012, the median weekly wage for women was about 80.9 percent of the median weekly wage for men. But as this chart from Planet Money's Lam Thuy Vo shows, in some professions the situation is even worse.
- The GOP by the Numbers – The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press published the results of a recent survey that looks at how people view the GOP and the Democrats. Many of the results are what you would expect. It is not surprising that the image of the Republican Party is at a two-decade low, with only a 33% approval rating.
- There will be more Trayvons – Salon.com – On the one year anniversary of his shooting, we're still not doing enough to protect our young people
- Yet another community strikes back against Westboro Baptist – Salon.com – When the hate group arrived to protest a Santa Monica high school, residents were there to greet them
- Companies Will Soon Be Able to Punish You for Illegal Downloads – Truthdig – Beginning this week, the five major Internet service providers—AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon—will be able to take recourse against you if you download—or are suspected of downloading—anything illegally. The arrangement is a result of the Copyright Alert System, which basically gives the companies free rein to punish you for your alleged misdeeds.
- Daily Kos: Americans hate Republicans as much as Daily Kos readers do – Last week, Pew delivered some pretty bad news to Republicans: Americans just aren't all that into them. And if Republicans wanted to turn things around, they had to do things like drop social issues, stop hating on science, and begin compromising a bit.
Today, Pew delivered even more bad news to the GOP:
- Frat bros for trans rights! – Salon.com – A Boston fraternity is raising money for a brother's top surgery — and showing a radically new side of Greek life
- Dear white friends and family: Whether it’s ni**a or the n-word, you just can’t say it | theGrio – To paraphrase Lupe Fiasco: White people, you can’t say the n-word.
- Oscar loves a white savior – Salon.com – If a movie features white people rescuing people of color from their plight, odds are high an Oscar will follow