Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for February 26th through March 4th:
- Watch: The Staggering Extent of Wealth Inequality in the U.S. – Truthdig – An infographic-heavy video on wealth distribution that went viral over the weekend reveals that the gap between the rich and the poor in the U.S. is probably much worse than you think. Using information and statistics from Mother Jones, Think Progress and CNN Money, the video highlights the huge difference between how Americans believe wealth is divided, how they would prefer it to be divided and how it is really divided.
- No, I’m Pretty Sure Mitt Romney ‘Gets It’ – The Daily Beast – Voters care about how policies will impact themselves, their families, and the community to which they identify. This is a core truth of the democratic process, and it's a lesson conservatives must heed going forward.
- Stop the economic terrorists! | Thom Hartmann – News & info from the #1 progressive radio show – President Obama is negotiating with economic terrorists. And a new Reuters report shows he's giving in to their demands by offering cuts to our social safety net. In calls with lawmakers over the weekend, Obama said he will cut programs like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid in exchange for a so-called compromise to replace the sequester, as long as Republicans agree to more tax increases.
- Making ‘Other America’ Fail – http://consortiumnews.com/2013/02/26/making-other-america-fail/
- The Religious Roots of the Minimum Wage – Will raising the minimum wage put more money in the pockets of America’s working poor? Or will it have the opposite effect, throwing more poor people out of work? That’s the question we ask whenever anyone proposes a hike in the minimum wage, as President Obama did in his State of the Union Address. But it’s also the wrong question, diverting us from the biggest one of all: what are the rights that we share as human beings?