- Steven Conn: Rand Paul and the GOP World of Magical Thinking – If America is in steep and dire decline, as the right-wing chorus chants almost constantly, then the past must have been a better place. That's the central premise of all declension stories. And the louder the chorus of decline has grown, the rosier the past has become.
It is in that context that Paul could go to Howard University, lecture students there on the history of the Republican Party and civil rights, and skip over all the racist bits. To acknowledge them would force Paul to admit that maybe that racist history, 50 years in the making, might have consequences in the present.
- How Right-Wingers in Congress Came to Represent a Whole Different Country | Alternet – The House GOP has redistricted and propagandized itself into another country.
- Daily Kos: The rise and fall of the teabagger – Crazy thing is, you could make a decent argument that the GOP was actually in a better position four years ago, because empty chairs (and empty couches) don't vote.
- Study: School Reform in 3 Major Cities Didn’t Pass the Test | Common Dreams – Many people paying attention to corporate-based school reform in recent years will not be surprised by this, but a new study on the effects of this movement in Washington, D.C., New York City and Chicago concludes that little has been accomplished and some harm has been done to students, especially the underprivileged.
- Margaret Thatcher never liked her country | Frank Cottrell Boyce | Comment is free | The Observer – Thatcher may have draped herself in the flag, but she didn't understand what really made Britain great
- Is the National Rifle Association beginning to lose its clout? (+video) – CSMonitor.com – A major gun rights group has announced its support for a compromise Senate measure that would expand background checks on gun buyers. The National Rifle Association continues to oppose such checks even though most NRA members support them.
- Throw out the myths about Margaret Thatcher | Ken Livingstone | Comment is free | The Guardian – The reality was that Thatcher was neither popular nor successful economically. Labour must make a clean break with her policies
- Left Behind – Social conservatives issue one of their regular threats to abandon the GOP.
- GOP plots to rig the court – Salon.com – Liberals decry Sen. Chuck Grassley's "court-packing" scheme to rig the second most powerful court in the country
- The Masters presents a phony, sanitized South – Salon.com – CBS wants us to believe it is about magnolias and grand traditions. The real history is one of racism and exclusion