Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for January 10th from 16:31 to 16:43:
- Some in GOP like to see Christie knocked back – Gov. Chris Christie is facing his biggest political controversy and is under fire from the left. But there are plenty in his own party pleased to see the tough-talking Republican governor get a bit of a comeuppance.
- Strauss: Why teachers think Gov. Christie is a bully – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he’s not a bully, but there are plenty of teachers in New Jersey who would disagree.
- How white, black and brown students learn the language of racist bullying – Children are bombarded with racist messages in the media and public debate. It's no wonder this has reached the playground
- New Yorker Rips Chris Christie In Latest Cover – Yeah, the governor probably won't love this image of him as a little boy blocking all that Jersey traffic.
- Feds recognize same-sex couples in Utah – The Obama administration extended federal recognition to the marriages of more than 1,000 same-sex couples in Utah that took place before the Supreme Court put those unions in the state on hold.
The action will enable the government to extend eligibility for federal benefits to these couples. That means gay and lesbian couples can file federal taxes jointly, get Social Security benefits for spouses and request legal immigration status for partners.
- Why Conservatives’ Old Divide-and-Conquer Strategy — Setting Working Class Against the Poor — Is Backfiring – For almost forty years Republicans have pursued a divide-and-conquer strategy intended to convince working-class whites that the poor were their enemies.
The big news is it’s starting to backfire.
- The Chris Christie scandal proves it: strong leaders are dangerous | Jonathan Freedland – The disgrace of New Jersey's Republican governor shows how political strength can fast become bullying – or worse
- “We Can Afford to Live Again” – 10 Americans Who Got Covered – The very best people to describe what having new health insurance means — what it feels like — isn't me or any White House policy staffer. It's not even the President.
- READ: New Chris Christie Bridge Scandal Documents Released – On Friday, the New Jersey legislature released hundreds of pages of documents relating to Republican New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's George Washington Bridge scandal. The documents are divided into seven exhibits, A-G. Read them here (we will add exhibits as they become available; the state legislature's website is currently overloaded):
- Chris Christie’s Not In The Clear Yet. These Text Messages Show Why. –