- The GOP’s Real Ted Nugent Problem – If conservatives want to be media stars tomorrow, they’ve got to get to work today.
- Leonard Pitts Jr.: More silliness from Kansas | Opinion | McClatchy DC – "Discrimination," he said, "is horrible. It's hurtful. It has no place in civilized society …"
You would think that statement, delivered recently in the Kansas legislature, a noble sentiment no right-thinking person could argue with. But we are gathered here today to argue with it.
- Black vs. white man breaking into car – Two friends decide to do a prank that show what happens when a white man and a black man break into a car.
- 5 Myths About Introverts and Extraverts at Work – People increasingly recognize that being an introvert comes with strengths, not only vulnerabilities.
- How Slavery Led To Modern Capitalism – The story we tell about slavery is almost always regional, rather than national. We remember it as a cruel institution of the southern states that would later secede from the Union. Slavery, in this telling, appears limited in scope, an unfortunate detour on the nation's march to modernity, and certainly not the engine of American economic prosperity.
Yet to understand slavery's centrality to the rise of American capitalism, just consider the history of an antebellum Alabama dry-goods outfit called Lehman Brothers or a Rhode Island textile manufacturer that would become the antecedent firm of Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
- More Homophobia in Africa, This Week in Gambia – Gambia’s president calls gays “vermin” to be fought like malaria-carrying mosquitoes; demographics alone won’t beat the tea party, contrary to Democrats’ beliefs; meanwhile, journalist Glenn Greenwald laments the state of society and discusses his new media venture.
- It is homophobia, not homosexuality, that is alien to traditional African culture – Gay rights are in crisis across Africa, yet diverse sexual practices and identities have always existed in these societies
- What Indiana may tell us about the GOP’s marriage equality fatigue – Ted Cruz and Republicans in Utah and Oklahoma may be digging in on their opposition to marriage equality, but they may be (or may soon be) outliers on the issue.
- Ten Quotes to Celebrate Audre Lorde’s Birthday – Black, lesbian, mother, warrior, poet Audre Lorde was born 80 years ago today. Here are 10 of Lorde's many quotes–feel free to add your favorite in the comments section!