Here are some of the people texas’
- No, Paul Ryan Doesn’t Deserve the Benefit of the Doubt – Does Ryan deserve the benefit of the doubt? Was he accidentally using one of the tropes the right has being relying on for decades to cloak race baiting?
- Republicans force black, brown, female and poor to pay an opportunity premium – Paul Ryan and his ilk are not dumb. They know what they are doing. The problem they face is that the systemically disaffected in the country comprise the vast majority of people in the country. They must divide and conquer.
- Is Paul Ryan Racist? – Of course, an individual’s mindset in any particular instance is almost impossible to know. We cannot be certain what Ryan intended. Nevertheless, there’s no doubt that Ryan employed rhetoric closely connected to a dismal history of Republican racial demagoguery.
- Guess which students get suspended the most in our post-racial society – African-American, Latino, and disabled students are suspended from school at disproportionate rates compared to white students, a new report finds. In fact, except for the fact that high suspension rates emphatically should not be the norm, we might just say that straight white students without disabilities are suspended at disproportionately low rates.
- Contributing Op-Ed Writer: Paul Ryan’s Irish Amnesia – Talking the familiar, heartless language of hunger economics.
- America’s Scary New Reality: The Poor Can’t Afford Pneumonia Treatment Anymore – According to a family physician writing at Daily Kos, what was once a life-saving $4 antibiotic now costs more than 10 times the price thanks to corporate greed and none other than the Koch brothers. In other words, slowly but surely, only the rich will be able to afford survival in the good ol’ USA.
- What’s Really Offensive About Paul Ryan’s Remarks – Paul Ryan has a cartoonish view of the people who live in our inner cities, in part, because he doesn't know them. Because he doesn't know them, he doesn't understand what they need. He's right that they need jobs and would benefit from more mentors, but their work ethic is just fine. They work hard. What they need is legitimate work and access to the education and job-training that is required for legitimate work.
- New York mayor to skip St Patrick’s Day parade over gay rights dispute – Bill de Blasio follows Boston mayor in decision to sit out traditional event over ban on pro-gay signs
- Why Do Conservatives Soak Up Lies? – So: why do conservatives sop up lies, on topic after topic?
They do it because, if they didn't, they couldn't be themselves; they couldn't be conservatives. Lie-lovers is whom they are. It's their identity.
- Paul Ryan isn’t the wonk of Washington – it’s time to listen to more good ideas | Dean Baker – Sure, the new budget from the left won’t pass. But DC’s double standard anoints false kings