- Wal-Mart Manager Speaks out About His Store’s Ugly Reality – From no time off, to working multiple roles at once, here's what's really going on at the mega-chain.
- Inherited wealth is an injustice. Let’s end it – Inheritance, which rewards the wealthy for doing nothing, is once again becoming a key route to riches just as it was in the Victorian era
- Obamacare and the Self-Made Man – "Every American regardless of his means must have access to reasonable health care. In the absence of a single-payer system, every American regardless of his means must purchase health insurance in the marketplace to guarantee such access."
What in these words (and their equivalents) raises such ire in decent folk? Americans on the whole are decent folk and selfishness or other immoral motives therefore do not likely underly their anger. Instead, I believe much of their anger turns on the myth of the self-made man. Let me explain.
- The Sad Death of One Penniless Adjunct Professor Is Still Making a Surprising Difference – If one obscure college professor dies, does it make any difference? If you're Margaret Mary Vojtko, yes.
Margaret Mary died last summer at age 83 — and her death has turned her name into an emotional rallying cry for adjunct college teachers who're seeking justice from their schools.
- The Minimum Wage Fight Is A Fight For Women – The states with elected officials most likely to espouse anti-taker sentiments — i.e., Republican-dominated states — are the most dependent on federal spending, while returning the least to Washington in the way of tax dollars.
- GOP States Are The Most Dependent On Government – The states with elected officials most likely to espouse anti-taker sentiments — i.e., Republican-dominated states — are the most dependent on federal spending, while returning the least to Washington in the way of tax dollars.
- Insane New Gun Law in Georgia Will Allow Guns in Bars, Schools, Churches—Just About Anywhere – The NRA calls it "a historic victory for the Second Amendment.” Everyone else: Not so much.
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin’s ‘conscious uncoupling’ – what deluded tosh – Among the many distinctive attributes of celebrity it has always seemed likely that the most important is the capacity to alter reality, to create a force field in which the normal rules by which the rest of us live are suspended. Something beyond access to an unlimited supply of dazzling white jeans.
- 8 Laws To Keep Women In Line That Are Somehow Still On The Books – Sometimes, however, the law moves at a glacial pace, and we find ourselves staring at ordinances that are either relics of a different social and political era, or perhaps some attempt to reclaim that past. While every state has undoubtedly passed its share of controversial laws, we've rounded up some of the ones that really don't seem to have a place in 2014.