- Reuters: ‘Americans increasingly prefer Democrats on health care’ – Nearly one-third of respondents in the online survey released on Tuesday said they prefer Democrats' plan, policy or approach to healthcare, compared to just 18 percent for Republicans. This marks both an uptick in support for Democrats and a slide for Republicans since a similar poll in February.
- The 1% Wants to Ban Sleeping in Cars Because It Hurts Their ‘Quality of Life’ – Depriving homeless people of their last shelter in life is Silicon Valley at its worst.
- Bacon Is Not a Vegetable – As a vegetarian, I have to walk a fine line.
Really, I’m not judging you. But I often find it necessary to establish myself as “not a threat” to meat eaters. I also occasionally bump up against militant vegans.
- Death by Stalling – Compassion for the dying is gaining traction. It’s about time.
In 1948, 37 percent of Americans supported the idea behind the “death with dignity” movement. Last year, 70 percent of us did. While that number leveled off two decades back, how big a majority does an issue need to be worthy of some attention?
- Prop 8 Lawyer’s Views On Gay Marriage Evolving – The lawyer who argued before the Supreme Court in favor of upholding California's ban on gay marriage learned while he was handling the case that one of his children is gay and now is helping her plan her wedding with another woman.
- Latest Gallup Result: 12 Million Newly Insured Under Obamacare – Speaking of the uninsured, I inexplicably failed to blog about the latest Gallup results yesterday. Based on polling that goes through mid-April, Gallup now estimates that about 12 million people have gained insurance since Obamacare rolled out last year.
- Blindsided by Dental Bills? What You Can Do – The ABC News Fixer fills a cavity in a reader’s wallet, has tips for you.
- Start saving now: Day care costs more than college in 31 states – College costs loom large in the parental mind. According to a 2013 report by Sallie Mae, half of parents are putting away money for their kids' education. Those who aren't are fretting about it, saying that they feel "frustrated," "overwhelmed" and "annoyed" when they think about college savings. But most parents will deal with an even larger kid-related expense long before college, and it's a cost that very few of them are as prepared for. That expense is day care.
- Blunder Reveals GOP’s Dark Heart – It’s not Kirsten Kukowski’s fault she only had gibberish to spout about workplace gender fairness. It’s the fault of her party and its culture—and the GOP will pay for it with women.
- More Blacks Have Health Insurance Because of ACA – The number of African Americans who lacked health insurance dropped dramatically in 2014's first quarter compared to 2013's fourth quarter thanks to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which Republicans threaten to repeal if they win control of both houses of Congress in November's national elections.