Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for April 21st through April 28th:
- So Much for a ‘Post-racial’ America – We might not be in the back of the bus, and we might not drink from separate water fountains, but racial discrimination is very much alive in 2014. Anyone who ever doubted that reality can look at these three incidents alone. A national, federal government was designed to protect the rights of minorities against the state's individual wishes. We must not allow that protection to be stripped away.
- A Gay Dad Recognizes His Real Life In Nabisco’s Inclusive Honey Maid Ad – Dignity is a funny thing however. It is like the indelible ink my sons love so much to scrawl on the walls of their bedroom. It does not wipe off. It often does not scrub off. Once applied, you get to keep it.
- Modern racists just repeat conservative talking points: Donald Sterling, Cliven Bundy and the ugly face of GOP policies – Sterling and Bundy aren't vestiges of another time. They are the embodiment of Paul Ryan & Michele Bachmann's ideas
- Anti-Obamacare Hysteria Almost Killed Dean Angstadt – Robert Calandra of the Philadelphia Inquirer tells the story today of Dean Angstadt, a guy who listened to Republican hysteria about Obamacare and almost paid for it with his life:
- Sterling and Bundy Are a History Lesson in Racism – You can walk along Main Street of any southern town during lunch hour and find blacks and whites sharing a meal, a joke, an embrace. You can watch any NBA playoff game and watch African-American players in a glorious variety of pigments, including a rising minority who are clearly biracial. Those trends will continue; there will be ugliness and misunderstanding as we inch along toward the ideal of a fully Mongrelized, and thereby strengthened, America. But they are unstoppable.
- More Rough News for “Not Racist” Community – Looks like desperate right-wing efforts to make Sterling into the "Democrat Bundy" have taken a bit of a hit.
- American Abu Ghraib Prisoner “Disappears” – Shawki Ahmed Omar, an American-Jordanian prisoner, held without due process in Iraq for almost 10 years, "disappeared" around the time 2,400 other inmates of Abu Ghraib were reported to have been transferred to other prisons.
- For gay and lesbian parents, equality is a myth when it comes to custody cases | Steven W Thrasher – Despite studies showing that having a gay or lesbian parent doesn't affect kids negatively, the courts haven't caught up
- Leonard Pitts Jr.: Race and Obama news coverage – I have a question for George Will.