Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for May 12th through May 14th:
- How the Right Wing Is Killing Women – A woman giving birth in America is more than twice as likely to die as a woman in Saudi Arabia or China.
- ‘If you’re trying and not succeeding, the welfare system today gives you basically nothing’ – In theory, a welfare system should achieve two goals: It should reward people who are working to get out of poverty, and it should help those with the greatest disadvantages. Right now the country is doing a lot more to achieve one than the other. And the end result is that we appear to have built a system that does the least for the people who are worst off.
- GOP’s “lawless” obsession: Gross obstructionism incites attacks on Obama – When a party believes a president is illegitimate, any performance of basic tasks is a scandalous power grab
- Stemming the Tide of Recidivism: Banning ‘the Box’ – Today, 70 million Americans have criminal records—nearly one third of the American adult population. Studies reveal that formerly incarcerated people with stable employment are far less likely to reoffend than those who are unemployed. But too often, they’re hindered by the employer practice of asking about prior convictions, which for many serves as an instant disqualification. As a result, former offenders have a permanent stigma that prevents their successful reintegration into society, despite their best efforts.
- Backsliding on Educational Equality – If you truly believe our nation should aim for authentic equality, check out your state’s affirmative action laws. Find out whether they have affirmative action bans or if any are pending. Contact your local and state representatives and get involved in efforts to maintain affirmative action in education, government employment, and contracts.
- Paul Ryan’s Approach To Poverty Is Straight Out Of The 19th Century – Whoever the bogeyman, the conservative response springs from the same core belief that too much government assistance causes the problem it's supposed to solve, and that any decent person can make it in America if he or she tries hard enough.
- Top 5 Signs That It Is Karl Rove Who Is Brain Dead, Not Hillary Clinton – Karl Rove was reported to have raised questions about Hillary Clinton’s mental well-being because of her fall in late 2012.
- Michael Sam, football player and pioneer | Opinion | McClatchy DC – Let's hope that in not too many years Michael Sam will be known more for his talent on the football field and less for being the first openly gay player drafted in NFL history.
- Americans Think They’re Smarter Than Average, Especially Rich White Guy Americans – You may think you’re smart, but you’re dumb. I’m simplifying ('cause you’re dumb), but that is the cheering overall conclusion of a new survey by the research organization YouGov. The online questionnaire of 991 Americans finds that 55 percent believe they are smarter than the average person.
- How His Mama Made Him – My partner and I have a running joke, that his mother can’t stand the person she raised him to be.
It’s that kind of joke that has more than a little truth in it.