- In Georgia, Lawmakers Taking Pride in Policies That Hurt the Poor – Georgia has taken the lead in the mad dash to thwart the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and prevent poor people from accessing health care. Last week, Governor Nathan Deal signed into law two bills that ensure the state won’t be expanding Medicaid any time soon, and that make it decidedly more difficult for people to gain coverage under the ACA. These laws – a notch in the belt of conservatives preparing for the fall election – compound the social and economic injustices already experienced by many low-income Georgians.
- Here’s The Painful Truth About What It Means To Be ‘Working Poor’ In America – In a nation that has long operated on the principle that an "American Dream" is available to anyone willing to try hard enough, the term "working poor" may seem to have a bright side. Sure, these individuals struggle financially, but they have jobs — the first and most essential step toward lifting oneself out of poverty, right?
If only it were that simple.
- America’s demented welfare mentality: How we choose to inflict misery — while protecting the rich – Rather than strip aid from the hungry (and send cash to the wealthy), here's how we can be a more humane nation
- 10 Ways the Poor Are More Ethical than the Rich – The poor, along with a middle class that is sinking toward them, make up the American meritocracy. Here is some of the evidence.
- Op-Ed Columnist: Poverty Is Not a State of Mind – There is a poisonous view among some conservatives that the poor are deficient in character, not cash.