- Stop Trying to Fix Your Son. He’s Not Broken – Your son doesn’t need you to point out his limitations, he needs you to guide him to make the right choices in life. He needs you to see his possibilities. He needs you to encourage him as he faces daily struggles, pressures and criticism from society. He needs your comfort and help. He needs you to have realistic expectations and allow for mistakes. He needs your reassurance that you believe in him and love him unconditionally.
- Your Guide to the Gay Marriage Fight – After a federal judge struck down Pennsylvania’s gay marriage ban this week, the state became the 25th where gay marriage is currently legal—kinda. In seven of those states, courts have struck down gay marriage bans but gays can’t marry yet because appeals on those decisions are pending. In the other half of the country, gay marriage bans remain in effect, although all but three are facing court challenges. What’s your state’s marital status? The map below, developed and updated by Mother Jones, charts the ongoing battle for gay rights. Click on a state for more information about it.
- Republican Medicaid refusal leaves over 250,000 veterans uninsured – Republicans sure have a lot to say about our veterans and the country's need do support them, but when it comes time to act? They filibuster funding for an expansion of their healthcare program. They also leave 258,600 veterans uninsured. That's how many low-income veterans don't have access to health care through the Veteran's Administration and don't have access to Medicaid because their Republican lawmakers have refused to take the Obamacare expansion.
- States are falling for marriage equality. Which will be the last one standing? | Steven W Thrasher – History does not judge well the last people to end discrimination, and it's getting more and more difficult to stop doing the right thing
- Program for veterans with traumatic brain injuries endangered because Republicans and funding – The program costs between $100 million and $200 million, and the alternatives are more expensive in the long term and less effective for the veterans. Republicans and Democrats both want to pass it. But Republicans already filibustered a veterans' healthcare bill in February, and now this small piece is being held up by, y'know, cost concerns.
- The Roots of the GOP’s Race Problem – Thursday is the 50th anniversary of the Great Society and the civil rights push. But if conservative hero Barry Goldwater had had his way, government would have stayed out of it.
- The Truth About Race In America: It’s Getting Worse, Not Better – The woman battling the Republican governor and state house to get Medicaid expanded in Kansas is the state insurance commissioner and a life-long Republican.
- All In America, the battle for healthcare – The woman battling the Republican governor and state house to get Medicaid expanded in Kansas is the state insurance commissioner and a life-long Republican.
- Still a Nation of Immigrants – NYTimes.com – Yet many of the groups driving the diversification aren’t seizing the electoral power that comes with being here.