Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for June 9th through June 16th:
- Working from home can be a slog – As more and more of us open up the lap top on the kitchen table near our best kitchen knives instead of heading into an office, it's worth considering what the pros and cons are
- Paul Ryan’s heartless idiocy: How to defeat GOP’s school lunch politics – From removing stigma to boosting efficiency, here's why universal free school lunch is smart way to help poor kids
- How Fox News Created a Monster—and Made Two Others Disappear – From Bergdahl to the Las Vegas cop killers, Fox and friends enter Orwell’s “Eastasia.”
- Stop Calling the Iraq War a ‘Mistake’ – As Iraq descends into chaos again, more than a decade after "Mission Accomplished," media commentators and politicians have mostly agreed upon calling the war a "mistake." But the "mistake" rhetoric is the language of denial, not contrition: it minimizes the Iraq War's disastrous consequences, removes blame, and deprives Americans of any chance to learn from our generation's foreign policy disaster. The Iraq War was not a "mistake" — it resulted from calculated deception. The painful, unvarnished fact is that we were lied to. Now is the time to have the willingness to say that.
- President Obama Plans To Do Something For LGBT Workers That No President Has Ever Done – President Obama is planning on signing a new executive order preventing federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT employees, a White House official told the Associated Press on Monday. The order is expected to be finalized in the next few weeks and is an extension of previous orders banning employment discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, or national origin among federal contractors and subcontractors.
- Obama to sign executive order protecting job rights for gay employees – Order would ban federal contractors from discriminating against employees on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity
- These are not terrorists: Wingnuts’ anti-LGBT dementia spirals out of control – For fringe lunatics on the right, the domestic terrorism threat has nothing to do with guns. It's "gay radicals"
- Honor cop victim, shun Vegas killers – My friend was just murdered under the guise of revolution.
- How Republicans Made Congress Stupid–Cover Story of the Latest Washington Monthly – Why did Congress not see the health exchange disaster coming? Why was it caught unawares by the extent of the NSA's surveillance programs? Why are senior House committee chairmen in safe seats quitting Congress altogether?
These seemingly disparate phenomena share the same profound but poorly understood root cause: Congress is getting stupider. Not in terms of the IQ of its members (though that's debatable) but in the capacity of the institution to evaluate information and understand complex topics.
- Take it from a former military deserter: Bowe Bergdahl has suffered enough – Look into the eyes of another famous US veteran who left his post, and you'll see that captivity's punishment is harsher than any military court and that he deserves peace