- Michael Eric Dyson Spells It Out for White People: Police Won’t ‘Kill Your Child’ – "White privilege obscures from them what it means that their children can walk home and be safe."
- History and Ferguson, Missouri – As I watched with a sickening sense of deja vu the images coming out of Ferguson, Missouri this week, I couldn't help but come to this conclusion: we have allowed a pernicious historical revisionism to undermine the legacy of the civil rights movement.
- In Ferguson the violence of the state created the violence of the street | Gary Younge – Nobody in their right mind wants more violent protests. But, as Martin Luther King said, a riot is the language of the unheard
- Dancing While Lying Dead in the Street – We all should be angry that Mike Brown was shot, killed and put on display for all in his neighborhood to see. We can’t just stop at being angry though; we have to take time to understand this individual shooting is connected to a set of broader structural issues. We must make sure that this never happens again.
- White Juries Are Not Kind to Black Defendants – What the authors discover is that all white juries are 16% more likely to convict black defendants than white defendants but the presence of just a single black person in the jury pool equalizes conviction rates by race.
- The Second Slaying of Michael Brown – The image mugging of Brown doesn't change the official record. He was killed not because he was a suspected robber, but a suspected jaywalker. To suggest anything else is nothing more than a second slaying of Brown.
- If You Are Black or Brown in America, Your Parents’ Warnings Can’t Keep You Safe – In this country, a black person is killed by a security officer every 28 hours. On Saturday, in Ferguson, Missouri, a white police officer shot and killed 18 year-old Michael Brown.
Now all we are left with is a series of heartbreaking truths.
- Random Acts Of Kindness In Ferguson – Amid the violent police response Wednesday night to the protests in Ferguson, Missouri, citizens also engaged in random acts of kindness.
- Taking Note: In Ferguson, Focus on Police Action, Not Police Gear – Armored vehicles aren’t themselves the problem.
- To Avoid More Fergusons, Make Cops Wear Cameras – As Reason's Ronald Bailey pointed out last year, "Watched cops are polite cops."