Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for August 18th through August 19th:
- Jesse Williams is pushing “Grey’s Anatomy” fans to think about Ferguson and police violence – Forget earnest platitudes. Jesse Williams is using his platform to raise radical consciousness and encourage action
- What the media isn’t telling you about Lauren Bacall (and Humphrey Bogart) – Mostly overlooked in the flood of tributes to the star of "To Have and To Have Not": She was a true-blue liberal
- America’s new racial low point: More crying black mothers, and tear gas on our dreams – Salon.com – Ferguson exposes the extent to which American necropolitics shapes the terms and conditions of black life in what professor Sundiata Cha-Jua calls a new racial nadir.
- How to Help in Ferguson – This fall when Congress is back in session, Representative Hank Johnson will introduce the Stop Militarizing Law Enforcement Act, which would end the federal government's policy of sending military equipment to local communities. Write to your representatives and demand that they fight to end the militarization of the police.
- Op-Ed Contributor: In Ferguson, Black Town, White Power – African-Americans need a bigger share of Ferguson’s political pie.