- Rage in Ferguson Offers Important Lesson – The rage in Ferguson goes beyond the death of Michael Brown. It's about what African Americans in Ferguson and elsewhere experience every day.
- Michael Brown’s Unremarkable Humanity – The Atlantic – A large number of American teenagers live exactly like Michael Brown. Very few of them are shot in the head and left to bake on the pavement.
- Fox News objects to calling Michael Brown an ‘unarmed teen’ – So this is where we are. We've got Steve Doocy and company arguing that calling the unarmed teen an "unarmed teen" is misleading, because unarmed American black teenagers are their own dangerous weapons. You shouldn't call him "unarmed" because the unarmed black teen walking down the street is armed with himself.
- Gun assault injuries alone cost taxpayers almost half a billion dollars a year – It turns out that gun violence isn't just a public safety issue—it's also extremely expensive for taxpayers.
The total national hospital costs associated with firearm assault injuries ballooned to almost $700 million in 2010, according to a new analysis by The Urban Institute. And the bulk of those costs—almost three-quarters of them, to be more precise—aren't being paid for by the perpetrators, victims, or insurance companies, but rather by the American public.
- Poll: White people a lot more likely than black people to think police treat racial groups equally – Go figure: White and black Americans have very different levels of confidence that their local police forces treat racial groups equally, use the right amount of force for each situation, and hold officers accountable for misconduct.
- Opinion: It doesn’t happen to whites – The data in Ferguson are an example of the larger picture in the St. Louis County area. Police stop, search and arrest black people at a disproportionate rate, even though they are less likely to possess contraband than white people.
- “Shoot, Shoot!” – There is a hyper-aggressive segment of reactionary authoritarians driven by race resentment in America, and it's a bigger group than most people realize or want to admit.
- Holder Has a Compelling Case in the Brown Killing – Attorney General Eric Holder has a compelling federal case in the Michael Brown killing if he decides to bring civil rights charges against Ferguson, Missouri cop Darren Wilson.