Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for September 25th from 15:18 to 15:23:
- GOP war on black voters quietly re-ignites: New ploys show it’s not just ancient history – How the long history of Southern states trying to disenfranchise African-Americans got an ugly new boost this month
- Steep Drop in ‘Stop and Frisk’ Numbers Shows What Activism Can Accomplish – Stop-and-frisk numbers are down 90 percent in New York City from the peak in early 2012. Ninety percent. In Harlem, they are down 96 percent in the same period.
- A hate crime suspect’s ugly Twitter feed – Kathryn Knott's lawyer calls her a cop's kid who's never been in trouble. Social media tells another story
- Taking Off the Uniform in Ferguson – Isn't the whole idea of putting on a "uniform" to serve as disinterested protectors of the community? By proclaiming their solidarity with Darren Wilson even as the investigation of his behavior is underway, these officers are implicitly taking off the "uniform."
- How to Destroy a Public-School System – In Philadelphia, education reformers got everything they wanted. Look where the city’s schools are now.