Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for October 16th from 12:40 to 12:45:
- Man Was Forced To Spend 100 Days In Prison For Being An Atheist – Barry Hazle is an atheist who was incarcerated for a year due to a drug charge before he was released on parole.
- Harvard Researchers: Every 64 Days There’s A Mass Shooting – Harvard University researchers say U.S. mass shootings have surged in the last three years, contradicting earlier studies.
The Harvard researchers said the rate of mass shootings has increased threefold since 2011, occurring on average every 64 days, compared with an average of every 200 days in the years from 1982 to 2011.
- The Nullification of Religious Liberty | Political Research Associates – It’s true. Religious liberty is under sustained attack in America—but not in the way the Christian Right would have us believe. A theocratic (and sometimes Neo-Confederate) movement within the broader Christian Right is targeting the religious liberty of those they don’t agree with.
- Minorities Earn Tech Degrees at Twice the Rate Top Companies Hire Them – USA Today reports that African Americans and Hispanics are graduating from top schools with computer science and computer engineering degrees at twice the rate that tech firms are hiring them. So why are minorities not getting jobs in the tech industry?
- A transgender mom becomes Working Mother of the Year – The magazine recognizes a new "true champion"
- When the Workday Never Really Ends – Sometimes it feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day. And for working people who have to juggle family and work, locked into a rough schedule and the stress of poverty — there really aren’t enough.