Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for October 22nd from 16:24 to 16:37:
- Things Are Improving For LGBT Students, But They’re Still Really Bad – Schools are getting better at fostering a friendly environment for LGBT students, but they still have a long way to go.
- Suit Against Kern County Schools Alleges Disproportionate Discipline for Students of Color – A sweeping lawsuit filed in Kern County, Calif., late last week alleges that African-American and Latino high school students suffer discrimination from disciplinary practices that remove them at disproportionate rates from regular school and place them in inferior alternative settings.
- We Spend $9 Billion a Year to Lock Up People With Mental Illnesses: Here’s What We Should Do Instead – San Antonio, TX has found a better approach to mental illness than handcuffs and jail cells.
- Why do white men dominate elected offices? – Jelani Cobb and Brenda Carter discuss a new study that finds that women and people of color are hugely underrepresented in elected office.
- Conservatives Cluster Around Fox News, While Liberals Vary News Sources – The most ideologically extreme Americans, both liberals and conservatives, have this much in common: they dominate our politics and drive our political discourse with far more influence than people with more mixed views.
But when it comes to where they get their information the two groups could hardly be further apart, according to a survey out Tuesday from the Pew Research Center’s Journalism project.
- Rush Limbaugh is America’s least-trusted news source – More than one-third of Americans say they distrust radio commentator Rush Limbaugh as a news source.
- The Science of Fox News: Why Its Viewers Are the Most Misinformed – Authoritarian people have a stronger emotional need for an outlet like Fox, where they can find affirmation and escape factual challenges to their beliefs.
- Shocking New Report: Superrich Have Grabbed Half the World’s Assets – According to a new report, the richest one percent have got their mitts on almost half the world's assets. Think that’s the end of the story? Think again. This is only the beginning.
- Ferguson’s amazing pumpkin-spiced protest reveals America’s repugnant double standard on race – "I wonder if all the white teens in St. Louis County that smash pumpkins on Halloween will face arrest"
- Whites riot over pumpkins in NH and Twitter turns it into epic lesson about Ferguson – Police were forced to descend on Keene, New Hampshire Saturday night after students and outside agitators turned the city’s 24th annual Pumpkin Festival into “a destination for destructive and raucous behavior.”