Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for November 10th from 14:01 to 14:12:
Create An ALEC-Killer – Chastened by the conservative movement’s startling success at using national money to dominate state legislatures, liberal activists this week will ask top donors to support a plan to reverse the precipitous Democratic decline in state governments, where the party was trounced yet again on Tuesday.
- How State-Sponsored Lotteries Steal From the Poor to Give to the Rich – Last year, in the words of “Last Week Tonight” host John Oliver, “Americans basically spent more on the lottery than they spent on America.” And although lottery commercials would have you believe that proceeds go to charitable causes, the truth is a bit more complicated.
- Ferguson police’s other sin: Why grand jury must probe Brown shooting’s aftermath – As we wait to hear the grand jury's decision, one part of the horrific episode is getting way too little attention
- Video games are not making us more violent, study shows – Long-term research into homicide rates and depictions of violence in video games and movies shows no significant relationship
- Empathy Heroes: 5 People Who Changed the World By Taking Compassion to the Extreme – Teresa MacBain helps nontheists build church-like communities with social support and rituals that appeal to many religious adherents.
- Former Christian Minister: Why I Left Christianity and Started an Atheist Church – Teresa MacBain helps nontheists build church-like communities with social support and rituals that appeal to many religious adherents.
- Op-Ed Columnist: The Latest Frivolous Attack on Obamacare – Politics, not legal reasoning, is behind the assault on Obamacare that is now headed to the Supreme Court.
- Op-Ed Columnist: The Obama Opposition – Republicans would erase the accomplishments and the man.
- “It’s symbolic annihilation of history, and it’s done for a purpose. It really enforces white supremacy”: Edward Baptist on the lies we tell about slavery – Edward Baptist on horrifying truth that we memorialize Confederate soldiers and not Americans who died enslaved
- Michael Brown’s parents to testify before UN about Ferguson police violence – Lesley McSpadden and Michael Brown Sr allege in report that their sons killing violated torture rules and Ferguson police systematically target black people