Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for December 4th through December 8th:
- Op-Ed Columnist: From Eric Garner and Michael Brown to the Ballot Box – The energy pouring into the streets is diffuse and organic, but powerful.
- What Ferguson Says About America – If Ferguson, MO, tells us anything, it's that King was dead-on about America.
- Bill de Blasio Explains Why Encounters with Police Are “Different for a White Child” – "What parents have done for decades, who have children of color, especially young men of color, is train them to be very careful when they have a connection with a police officer," de Blasio opened up to ABC's George Stephanopoulos on Sunday.
"It's different for a white child. That's just the reality in this country."
- KKK crucial to building the South’s enduring Republican majority, study finds – The Ku Klux Klan played an active and enduring role in steering southern white voters away from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party, according to a new study.
- Across America, whites are biased and they don’t even know it – Most white Americans demonstrate bias against blacks, even if they're not aware of or able to control it. It's a surprisingly little-discussed factor in the anguishing debates over race and law enforcement that followed the shootings of unarmed black men by white police officers.
- 6 Shockingly Brutal Incidents Revealed in Feds’ Scathing Report on Cleveland Police Department – Shooting unarmed people, beating handcuffed teens and other abuses chronicled in DOJ report.
- Why Is America’s Sense of Black Humanity So Skewed? – There is a real disconnect between what white people know and what black people know in this country.
- Shoot First – Eric Garner never had a chance.
- Hands Up, Don’t Choke – Another police killing of an unarmed man of color. Another grand jury deciding not to indict: Not for murder. Not for manslaughter. Not for assault. Not even for reckless endangerment. We live in a land of impunity. At least, for those in power.
- An Appreciation: Eric Garner – Eric Garner repeated "I can't breathe" before he died, but before that he said no. His widow is now saying no.*