Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for January 20th from 09:48 to 12:26:
- Four Ways Republicans Are Trying to Take Us Back to the Jim Crow Era – But what's really amazing about Selma is how relevant it is. Nearly 50 years after the events depicted in the film, the right to vote is under threat once again. But this time it's Republicans, not Southern Democrats, who are waging war on democracy.
- Police’s Aggressive Use of Flashbangs Has Yielded Tragic Results – About 50 Americans have been seriously injured or killed by these grenades since 2000.
- Why Doesn’t American Media Freak Out When the Terrorists Have White Skin? – The European revulsion at the terrorism has become translated into vicious attacks on Muslims.
- This Country Is All Too Ready to See Black Children as Criminals – Black children are disproportionately tried as adults when they commit crimes. Deeply internalized racism is to blame.
- Obama should show black lives matter by hosting relatives of those killed by cops at his State of the Union – The president should use the political theatre of this address to focus American’s attention squarely on the loss of human life when police kill black civilians.