Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for January 24th through January 26th:
York Times’ lesson in race: Black children, white liberals & the limits of respectability politics – A day after Nick Kristof opines about the proper face of police reform, his colleague’s son is detained at gunpoint
- Here come the climate trolls: Why the descending blizzard doesn’t disprove global warming – Climate deniers are arguing that Blizzard 2015 proves climate change is a hoax. Here's why they're wrong.
- Why Aren’t We Using This Gun Technology That Could Save Hundreds of Children’s Lives? – Every year in the U.S., more than 7,000 children and teenagers are involved in shooting accidents. 3,000 of them die.
- Conservatives lament decline of Sarah Palin following ‘rambling, painful’ weekend speech – Fall-out continued for former vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin following her speech at the Freedom Summit in Iowa this weekend, that one commentator called “bizarro,” with others calling it “rambling” and “painful.
- When you say you ‘don’t see race’, you’re ignoring racism, not helping to solve it – Race is such an ingrained social construct that even blind people can ‘see’ it. To pretend it doesn’t exist to you erases the experiences of black people
- 23 Things Poor People Have to Worry About That Wealthier People Never Even Have to Think About – A recent Reddit thread discussed experiences people had while experiencing poverty, with a particular focus on those things that people are forced to buy or do that people who aren't poor never have to think about, much less worry about.
- The 12 worst ideas religion has unleashed on the world – God is seldom great. These dubious concepts promote conflict, cruelty and suffering rather than love and peace.
- If you don’t understand how people fall into poverty, you’re probably a sociopath | Lucy Mangan – Last week, I took part in a comedy night to raise money for the charity Refuge, which supports women and children who have experienced domestic violence. It was a great night: partly because it…