Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about, for January 29th through February 2nd:
New (And Impossible) Standards of Male Beauty – Welcome to the Beauty Myth, boys.
- Why creationists are furious over this Super Bowl ad – Carnival Cruise ran a Super Bowl ad featuring the solemn voice of President John F. Kennedy. But what Kennedy said irked creationists.
- Republican Takeover of Senate Pushes Women Out of Powerful Committee Posts – Female senators have lost high-level committee leadership spots and are facing new challenges to their wielding of power since the Republicans took control.
- Obama urges vaccinations – "The science is, you know, pretty indisputable," the president says.
- It turns out male sexuality is just as fluid as female sexuality – If women can kiss women and still be straight, what about men?
- Must You Be a ‘Work Martyr’ to Change the World? – There’s a tragic irony in the willingness of progressive organizers to support hard-fought labor reforms while pulling all-nighters.
- States With Most Gun Deaths Have High Gun Ownership And Weak Gun Laws, Report Shows – It seems like a relatively obvious equation: The weaker the gun laws and the higher the rate of gun ownership in a given state, the more deaths from gun violence that state will see.
That's the conclusion of a report released Thursday by the Violence Policy Center, a nonprofit organization that researches the public health impact of gun violence.
- To the Teacher Who Changed My Life – Neal Tonken taught me English in 10th grade. He changed my life. He died last week. I don’t remember what he taught me about how to start an essay, but that’s the way he would have started it.
- The real cost of cheap meat: Factory farms could be lowering our resistance to disease – Cow feedlots are releasing dangerous superbugs into the air — gene sequences that can travel far and wide
- Unsavory: The Problem With Angry Vegans Who Push and Preach Their Ideals – It's time to stop trying to convince people that they need to follow a particular food fad or theory.