- Dear Idiots On My Facebook Feed: Here's Why Calling for Protests Over Slain Cops Makes No Sense
It’s simple: one doesn’t protest something the system already agrees is bad. That’s it. There’s not much else to it.
- Lest we forget: When white kids do it, it’s not a riot, it’s a “celebration”
Being a brief reminder of when civil rest is and isn’t socially acceptable according the major networks
- Children who are bullied feel traumatised and isolated. I know – it almost killed me | Hope Whitmore
Those in authority must recognise the long-term ill effects of peer bullying. Dismissing it as normal teenage behaviour is not acceptable
- What those calling for calm don’t understand about black poverty, struggle
As we watch the events unfold in Baltimore, not unlike Ferguson — and Los Angeles 20 years ago, and cities such as Detroit, Watts and Newark which experienced urban rebellions sparked by acts of police brutality in the 1960s — shaming the rioters is the easy way out when we refuse to address black suffering.
- What My 10-Year-Old Daughter Taught Me About the Death of Freddie Gray
"I don’t like Black people" a little girl said to my daughter earlier this week in school. My daughter, who is Black, was stunned to hear these seemingly out-of-nowhere words from her non-Black classmate.
- Toni Morrison takes on American racism: “I want to see a white man convicted for raping a black woman”
Morrison argued that the biggest symbol of racism is the US’ biased criminal justice system
- New Polls Show Majority Support for Marriage, Legal Protections
A pair of new polls show that a majority of Americans support equal marriage rights for same-sex couples (and believe there’s "no turning back" on the issue) and believe that the law should protect against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
- Is America beginning to accept atheists?
Inclusive policies for atheists, along with growing media attention and the rising number of religiously unaffiliated populations in the US, may herald the start of a shift in how America perceives those who don’t believe in God.
- Study: Why kids with ADHD need to squirm
New study finds they perform better on cognitive tests when moving around.