Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- Pride in Southern Heritage Does Not Require the Confederate Flag — In Fact, It's Now an Obstacle
History is certainly part of who we are. But it is long past time to stop romanticizing the past represented by the Confederate flag.
- Top 5 Reasons Confederate Flag should stop Flying at SC Statehouse
1. The Confederate flag in its current form was adopted by the seceding slave states to differentiate their banner from the Stars and Stripes on the battlefield. It isn’t a symbol of regionalism. It is a symbol of violent attack on the Union.
- Dylann Roof is the product of a system that has bred racist hatred for centuries | Joanne Braxton and Michael Sainato
The Charleston shooting is not an anomaly: as Maya Angelou argued, white America must face up to the imprint of slavery on US culture and the violence that black people suffer.
- A Letter From a White South African to White America
America did away with legislated racism a few decades before South Africa did (I remember reading many of the early U.S. cases in my constitutional law classes in SA), but institutional racism is still alive and well, and people are hurting.