Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- Focusing On The N-Word Is Just A Way Of Ignoring Obama's Point
Michael Arceneaux at TPMCafe: "I think I speak for many black people when I say that I’m wonderfully bored with white people’s obsession with policing whether or not it’s ever appropriate for a black person to use ‘nigger’ and all its variances."
- Dear white allies after Charleston: Please understand this about your privilege
White America, it’s time we talk. In the days after Charleston, here’s the way we’re talking about race in America.
- What This Cruel War Was Over
This afternoon, in announcing her support for removing the Confederate flag from the capitol grounds, South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley asserted that killer Dylann Roof had a “a sick and twisted view of the flag” which did not reflect “the people in our state who respect and in many ways revere it.” If the governor meant that very few of the flag’s supporters believe in mass murder, she is surely right. But on the question of whose view of the Confederate Flag is more twisted, she is almost certainly wrong.
- If you’re freaking out over Obama using the n-word then you’re part of the problem
This is an intelligent man making a nuanced statement about modern day racism. However, some of Obama’s right wing detractors take issue with him using the word at all.
- Agreeing to remove the Confederate flag isn't courageous. It's just politics | Jeb Lund