Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- Is the 'Culture War' Over? | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community
Recently, New York Times columnist David Brooks lamented that conservative Christians are losing the culture war. Brooks suggested that conservative Christians shift focus and “nurture stable families.” But Brooks is wrong; the culture war isn’t over. Conservatives are stuck in a war they can’t win.
- “It was always based on a flat lie”: Why neo-Confederates are finally losing the war for American history
The states’ rights explanation of the Civil War was always doomed, celebrated historian James Loewen tells Salon.
- Gray Matter: Empathy Is Actually a Choice
It’s not that you can’t feel it. You just don’t want to.
- Remember when we liked the Internet? Longing for a world without trolls, tracking and Twitter roundups
We used to go online to feel understood. A new film gets what’s lost in the move from LiveJournal to "social media”.
- How Amy Winehouse’s Pain Was Commodified
During her lifetime, Amy Winehouse’s mental illness and pain were commodities. And they were profitable commodities. The men in her life, in particular, seemed happy to court the tabloids that turned her into a caricature.
- Put your phone away or stay home: Anything you have to say, do or text needs to wait until the lights come up
When Patti LuPone has to shame you in public, you know we’ve reached peak audience rudeness.