Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- Sandra and Kindra: Suicides or Something Sinister?
The deaths of two black women who died in policy custody raise so-far unanswered questions.
- “A physical experience”: Ta-Nehisi Coates and the visceral truth about white supremacy
White Americans think of racism as prejudice or unfairness. But the reality is much more visceral — and violent.
- Bernie Sanders: structural racism needs to end for economic justice to succeed | Sabrina Hersi Issa
The progressive movement needs to stop paying lip service to the issues black voters care about. We’re not going to stop shouting.
- This $153,000 rattlesnake bite is everything wrong with American health care
Earlier this month a guy named Todd Fassler was bitten by a rattlesnake in San Diego, KGTV San Diego reports. In itself this isn’t terribly unusual—the CDC estimates that roughly 7,000 to 8,000 people a year get bit by a venomous snake in the U.S. And somewhere between five and six people die from these bites each year. What raised eyebrows, though, was Fassler’s hospital bill—all $153,000 of it. KGTV reporter Dan Haggerty shared it on Twitter. Take a look.
- Put away your Bible, Justice: The new “religious freedom” arguments are neither
The faithful want to follow a "higher law" than the Supreme Court. Even some justices. Here’s why they’re wrong.
- Racist public symbols in the US go far beyond the Confederate flag
From Confederate statues to images of Native Americans, Guardian readers helped us map places and spaces denounced as racist. Here’s what we found.
- “What happened in that jail?”: Everything you need to know about the tragic & mysterious death of Sandra Bland
There’s enough conflicting information about Bland out there to drive a person mad. Here’s what we know so far.