- It’s Not About Planned Parenthood
These attacks are merely the latest salvo in a far-reaching, systematic, ideological crusade to deny personal reproductive health decision-making. Those behind this crusade, and their allies in Congress, want to deny legal abortion, contraception and other services to anyone and everyone. Falling short of that goal, these extremists will content themselves to undermine the health and autonomy of those who are already most marginalized: the young, the undocumented, and those struggling to make ends meet.
- The casual killing of blacks: When everyday activities trigger lethal force by the police
Not having a license plate on your vehicle, changing lanes to make way for a police cruiser, casually walking in the middle of the street: Apparently each of these actions has started a chain of events that has ended up with someone being killed by a police officer. And that someone has, in each of these cases, been black.
- The South’s faces of terror must go: Don’t let the Confederate flag fight go the way of gun control
Six weeks after the mass killing in Charleston, we are living through a heretofore unimaginable moment. We should take this opportunity to make clear that the Confederacy’s values are not our own.
- What’s The Matter With Kansas? They’re Losing All Their Teachers
A teacher shortage appears to be the latest consequence of Kansas’ abject failure to manage its economy. It’s not hard to see why teachers don’t want to work in Kansas.
- New BET documentary tackles homophobia in the black church
BET’s Entertainment Editor Clay Cane is tackling homophobia in the black church in a new documentary called Holler If You Hear Me: Black and Gay in the Church.
- Dear White America: Your Toxic Masculinity Is Killing You
Toxic white masculinity, and the right-wing politics which nurture and protect it, are hurting millions every year.
- Gay Couple Teaches Violent Homophobe a Brilliant—Though Bloody—Lesson
The first gay-married couple from West Point fought back after attack in New York City.
- The War on Planned Parenthood Is Also an Assault on Poor Women of Color
The Right’s war on federal funding to health clinics is putting public health at risk.
- Watch what happens when regular people try to use handguns in self-defense
As it turns out, knowing when and how to apply lethal force in a potentially life-or-death situation is really difficult.