- Black Lives Matter joins a long line of protest movements that have shifted public opinion — most recently, Occupy Wall Street
Throughout American history, advocates for racial justice and economic justice have sometimes been at odds, but they’ve also found common ground.
- Racism in the Air You Breathe: When Where You Live Determines How Fast You Die
Countless African-American neighborhoods are plagued by some of the worst ongoing environmental disasters that exist on the planet. There’s often a landfill, highway, airport or oil refinery next door. Nearby you can find contaminated bus depots, nasty subway stops, plus the lead in old houses, which can lead to neurological disorders and learning difficulties (pdf).
- The Hypocrisy of Revering Julian Bond While Condemning Youthful Agitators
Agitation, among other things, is what Mr. Julian Bond stood for.
- Activist, writer Kevin Powell blasts police for ‘racially profiling’ Compton film
“You know what, there were shootings at the ‘Batman’ screenings, we know about what happened in Colorado,” Powell said Saturday on CNN. “There were shootings at the ‘Trainwreck’ screening. We cannot racially profile movies.”
- Op-ed: LGBT Americans Found a Hero in Julian Bond
The former state legislator and NAACP chairman fought for everybody.
- 5 Facts About Conversion Therapy We Know For Sure
These surprising, but simple truths are often missing in the discussion about conversion therapy.
- Black Women in the Rural South Are Still Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired
A new report find that too many suffer from rampant poverty and limited access to health care.
- Op-Ed Columnist: Darren Wilson’s Quest for Distance
Wilson must have made the calculation that a magazine profile would humanize and rehabilitate him in some way. He was wrong.
- The insidious violence of #AllLivesMatter – Salon.com
As the defacement of a Sandra Bland mural reminds us, the hashtag is little more than racism disguised as inclusion