- Kentucky clerk denying licenses to gay couples has married four times
Records obtained by the Guardian show Kim Davis has been divorced three times before she ‘surrendered’ her life to religion four years ago
- Nicki Minaj has something serious to say about race. We should listen to her | Suzanne Moore
Minaj’s supposed ‘catfights’ – the latest at the VMA awards – are heavily reported. But the media rarely reflects on her astute political points
- The Under-Reported Truth Behind Most Mass Shootings
Sensational crimes like the Roanoke shootings obscure a larger truth about who is killed by mass shooters.
- 'What Are We Becoming?' Virginia Shooter Forced Us To Be Witnesses
“The world,” wrote William Wordsworth, “is too much with us.” This was in 1806, 200 years before the first tweets and Facebook postings. Yet the poet’s words seem to capture something true about our time, when we live cheek-by-jowl online, connected to one another in ways he could never have imagined, and some people post murder porn like a new music video, as if it has never occurred to them that not everyone will want to see this — or can bear to do so.
- 5 Times Black And Brown People Have Been Scapegoated After Violence Was Perpetuated By Individuals
Black Lives Matter activists now join Muslims all over the world as the scapegoats for random violent acts committed by small extremist sects or by individuals who are often mentally ill. Here are five tragedies that black and brown people have been asked to answer for.
- A History Lesson for the Kentucky Clerk Refusing to Grant Marriage Licenses
If the fallout from Loving is any indication, those who side with the Kentucky clerk may have years of fight left to go—but their battle will likely be a losing one in the end.
- Study: People Are Quicker to Shoot a Black Target Than a White Target
According to a new report from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, racial bias can affect the likelihood of people pulling the trigger of a gun—even if shooters don’t realize they were biased to begin with. Researchers found that, in studies conducted over the past decade, participants were more likely to shoot targets depicting black people than those depicting white people.
- The deeply disturbing lie that the death of a Texas officer is connected to Black Lives Matter
Both the official Black Lives Matter organization, its representatives, and its loosely connected friends and partners actually have real agendas, real goals, real plans, and none of them, explicit or inferred, has ever suggested violence against police.