- Ahmed Mohamed is just one example of the bigotry American Muslims face | Linda Sarsour
Children like the now-famous clock-maker are this country’s future. We can’t allow them to be irreparably damaged by Islamophobia.
- The Toxic Cocktail of Racism, Paranoia and Stupidity That Sent Muslim Teen to Jail for Having a Clock
A Dallas 9th grader was taken out of school in handcuffs because the cops called his homemade clock a "hoax bomb."
- Contributing Op-Ed Writer: Drawing the Line Between Civil and Religious Rights
The clash over marriage licenses in Kentucky teaches a valuable lesson on the dangers of elevating religious rights over civil rights.
- We demand that women live in fear and behave impeccably to avoid 'asking for it' | Kate Harding
This ubiquitous idea that, by controlling our behavior, appearance and whereabouts, we can keep ourselves from being raped does nothing to help women (let alone potential victims who aren’t women). It merely takes the onus off the rest of society to seriously consider what we can all do to prevent sexual violence. It keeps our focus on what the victims did “wrong” instead of on what type of person rapes, or how he chooses his victims, or how we can prosecute sexual assaults more effectively. It trades on reductive, sexist ideas about how “good” and “bad” women behave and strongly suggests that some victims, frankly, had it coming.
- Many trans people still are denied healthcare because of their identity | Andy Marra
Only 10 states currently prohibit insurance exclusions for transgender health care. Even if new federal health regulation is passed, many obstacles remain
- Op-Ed Contributor: The Rolled R’s of Vanessa Ruiz
Some viewers didn’t like the Arizona newscaster’s use of Spanish words. They’d better get used to it.
- Many shootings are not called by their proper name: domestic violence | Jessica Valenti
To stop domestic violence homicides and show victims a modicum of respect we must – at the very least – call the crimes what they really are.