Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- An Honest Biography of Sally Ride
Ride’s partner wrote a children’s book that I wish I’d read as a kid.
- Op-Ed Contributor: Who the N.R.A. Really Speaks For
The organization claims to represent everyday gun owners, but its lobbying work can have a more sinister impact.
- Many school shooters, one common factor: a warped view of masculinity – CSMonitor.com
As debate rages over gun control, media portrayals of shooters, and other factors, one topic doesn’t get enough discussion, those who study mass shootings say: masculinity.
- Here’s What The World Thinks About The American Response To The Oregon Massacre
Mass shootings are a distinctly American problem.
Between 2000 and 2014, there were 33 mass shootings in Argentina, Australia, Canada, China, England, Germany, Finland, Israel, Mexico, Norway, Russia, South Africa and Switzerland combined.
Over the same time period, there were 133 mass shootings in the United States, killing 487 people.
- The Many Ways Women Are Beaten Down in America
Despite all the successes of women, and despite their having earned the right to economic equality, the white male establishment has prevailed, like a schoolyard bully muscling lunch money from the smarter but weaker kids.
- Watch: Prayer Won't Stop Gun Violence, Gun Reform Will
There’s a correlation between the politicians who only share their thoughts and prayers after gun violence and taking money from the NRA.