Here are some of the people writing about some of the stuff I wish I had time to write about today.
- What people don’t get about ‘Black Twitter’
One key reason why minorities and underserved populations have made inroads on social media is the plummeting price of technology. No one could have foreseen the egalitarian effects of the smartphone, which brought cheap Internet access to poor communities.
- Guns Do Not Make Us Safer
To the people who think guns make the world a safer place for women, Over 51 percent of intimate partner homicides are committed with firearms.
- Every Family Should Have Access to Mental Healthcare
Instead of shrugging at an impossible problem, how about we start by striving to give every child and family basic access to a mental health care system that works, that betters lives and supports families, and starts to address the millions of children and adults in danger of slipping away from society every day?
- Paul Ryan is an arrogant clown drunk on years of flatterers lying about how smart he is
Damn, even by Republican standards, Paul Ryan is an arrogant S.O.B., drunk on years of flatterers telling him tales about how he’s so much smarter than the real world evidence suggests.
- Cosby, Not Ebony Magazine, Fanned Stereotypes of the Black Family
It was Cosby who in lectures, speeches, press appearances, and a best-selling book went on a one man crusade to tell the world how supposedly lousy the black family was.
- Norwegians Are Literally Using 'Texas' As Slang for 'Crazy' Now
Texas’ "wild west" reputation has gone global, and not in a good way.
- Federal Report Calls for an End to Conversion Therapy
Washington DC and four states have already banned "conversion therapy," with 18 states having introduced bans on it. A new federal report from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is pushing for a national ban on the controversial practice.
- Create a Kinder Mind: How to Stop Your Mean, Hurtful Self-Talk
These are some of the tricks and tools that I’ve used to overcome my self-esteem issues and begin speaking to myself more kindly.